The father of a 19-year-old killed in Seattle’s Capitol Hill Organized Protest zone said that he received a consolation call from President Donald Trump.
Horace Lorenzo Anderson Sr., who lost his 19-year-old son to a shooting in the six-block area of Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood that was occupied by protesters following the death of George Floyd, said Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan (who endorsed the occupation) has not reached out.
“Incredibly, Donald Trump called me,” Lorenzo Anderson Sr. said, according to Q13 Fox Seattle. “The president of the United States called me today. He gave his condolences, and me, I’m not a political guy. I told him, ‘Nobody like you.’ I’m real. Donald Trump called me, and he didn’t have to call me.”
Anderson Sr. also stated that he had not received a call from the mayor. His son, Horace Lorenzo Anderson Jr., died in a shooting that took place on June 20 near Cal Anderson Park, where the police-free zone was situated.
Anderson Sr. gave an interview to Fox News’s Sean Hannity earlier this week in which he said that not a single person in law enforcement or city leadership has reached out to him nearly two weeks after his son died.
“It’s like they didn’t care, it didn’t matter,” he told host Sean Hannity. “I haven’t heard from the mayor. I haven’t heard from the police department, not from no city — nobody.”
Durkan openly supported ceding control of the city neighborhood to protesters, some of them armed, by calling the move patriotic and similar to a block party.
Durkan put an end to CHOP, which was previously called the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone, with an executive order this week. Police have arrested at least 60 people since then.